Should you have any questions pertaining to these rules, please ask in the #general_help channel of our Discord.
Rule-set Version: 6.2
Date Published: 17/09/2020
It is the responsibility of all players to ensure that they are up-to-date with the current rule-set and are aware of any changes, as these can occur at any time and without supplied notice.
Ignorance of rule-set changes will not be accepted as sufficient justification for non-adherence and any action carried out as a consequence cannot be contested.
- Knocked Out / KO: Any player that suffers a critical injury and is revived by EMS or respawns at the hospital.
- Critical Injury (previously Death): The result of an accident or purposeful harm to another player that results in their character being knocked out, such as a car accident or being shot.
- Death (Permadeath): The result of a character being killed and their story ending permanently.
- Airlifted (Respawn): When a player is critically injured and respawns inside the Pillbox Hospital.
- Store Robbery: Any theft of funds at a convenience store like 24/7 or Bottle-o.
- Player Robbery: Any theft of items from a player in-game.
- Heist: Any ‘major robbery’ from somewhere that isn’t a convenience store – they’re usually more complicated and take more effort, plus give out high rewards. Our current heists include the Pacific Standard Bank, Fleeca Banks and the Jewelry store.
Conditions of Entry
- All players requesting access to our roleplay community must complete a mandatory application in order to be considered for whitelist access. You can find that application here.
- All players must be a member of our discord to be considered for whitelisting. You can join it here.
- Should a player be granted whitelist access, they will be notified by being tagged in the #newly_whitelisted channel of our Discord.
- Upon being accepted, players will change their Discord nickname to be that of their character name.
- Should any rule of this document be breached, whitelist access will be removed, resulting in access to both the game server and expanded list of channels being revoked.
- Due to the age rating placed on Grand Theft Auto V we will only be accepting players 18 years or older.
- All players are to treat each other with respect at all times. Any form conversation or roleplay involving racism, sexual harassment, rape, and hate-speech will result in a permanent ban from our community (without the opportunity to appeal).
- Being or breeding toxicity in any platform can have you removed from the community. If you have an issue, address it properly, not in ways to create drama or be negative
- Roleplay that violates the Twitch Terms of Service (ToS), Twitch Community Guidelines and our Ruleset are strictly prohibited.
- All players are to comply with requests and directives made by the server administrators and moderators.
- Abusive behaviour towards staff as a result of bans will result in a permanent ban.
- Any help needed from staff may only be requested through OOC channels – do not text, call or tweet an admin/mod in game for assistance or contact them verbally to do so. They’re trying to roleplay as well. Use Discord!
- We have a zero tolerance harassment policy. It results in permanent bans without the chance to appeal.
- Players should keep in mind that they can not and will not ‘win’ all roleplay situations and that losing is oftentimes great for roleplay.
- Players can not report a general game rule break of another player once 24 hours have elapsed unless this is a bullying or personal/sexual harassment issues.
Voice and Communication
- No external communication software is to be used whilst connected to the server. All verbal communication and interactions must be exclusively via in-game voice chat. Players caught using external communications will be banned. Text chat is permitted so as long as it does not break our rules pertaining to metagaming. (See rule section #8)
- Unless instructed otherwise by an administrator, all interactions with voice chat are to be completely in-character.
- When using in-game voice communications, you must use push to talk.
- The /me function is in place to add more detail to roleplay where necessary. This is used primarily in medical roleplay such as ‘/me Sutures up your wounds’. Do not abuse the /me command with OOC things.
- If you find a radio channel used by others you can not identify them via their voice. If they self-identify by name or correlating location, you can use that. If you don’t want to be caught we suggest using codenames.
- Characters are not to be named anything that might be considered offensive, inflammatory, or disrespectful to any individual or group.
- Character attire or appearance must not violate any standards of conduct (ie. must not be nude or offensive)
- All characters created by players are to be new entities, without ties to previous stories, characters, or concepts. Exceptions to this may occur within reason with the permission of an admin or mod.
- No player is permitted to roleplay characters that are related to another character that they roleplay as (ie. no self created sibling characters)
- The only exception to the above rules will be temporary plot characters who can be approved by an Admin or mod. They must not exist permanently within the server and have a maximum ‘lifespan’ of 1 real week. These characters are plot devices only and should operate only within the confines of the storyline and not pursue their own storyline separate from the one they were created for.
- A player with multiple characters can not constantly create characters to specifically associate with a singular character of someone elses. Such as, playing not only their best friend but their sister and mother at the same time.
- New characters are not to be used as a way of avoiding any form of consequential action (ie. law breaking, permadeath etc)
- Characters cannot be outlandish in nature without solid RP reasoning, including but not limited to serial killers, superheroes, cannibals, witches or supervillains.
- Players may only have TWO characters without needing to seek admin permission. If the player wishes to have a THIRD character they must ask a staff member for permission.
- If a player has recently permanently killed off a character of their own they are not permitted to permanently kill another character for four weeks (real time).
- EMS and Law Enforcement are not permitted to be corrupt at this point in time.
- Erotic RP is not allowed on OceaniaRP. Alluding to and joking about sexual acts is fine without excess, but actually roleplaying out sexual activities is not.
- Pregnancy storylines resulting in a birth on the server are not permitted, but a female character may use it as a reason to leave the city or refer to having already had children.
- Players are not to act deliberately criminally with the sole intent of baiting the Police Department.
- Players must make all efforts and attempts to engage in roleplay scenarios and events organically, and be mindful to not force their involvement where unwarranted or no logical roleplay reasoning exists.
- Griefing other players to coerce them into a roleplay situation is not permitted. Any form of griefing will not be tolerated.
Value of Life
- All players must value their lives, regardless of their profession or role. All players must seek to avoid death for the sake of roleplay.
- Your character does not want to die at any time. Please see the ‘permadeath’ section for further explanation about our no-suicide rule.
- If a player is being taken hostage or held at gunpoint, the hostage player must comply with the demands of their assailant until such time it is safe for them to discontinue unless in the situation there is a strong Rp reason as to why your character would value your freedom (with a safe avenue to leave) over your value for life.
- If the hostage taker is not focused on you and you have an opening, you are free to attempt to flee. To keep you hostage they should keep their attention on you.
- Hostage takers can not carry or lift you to move you – you must walk yourself.
- Think about your actions carefully and logically for your character: If you think divulging a particular secret might get you killed or severely injured and you want to avoid death, maybe keep it to yourself. Actions have consequences.
Injuries, Amnesia and You(New Life Rule)
- If your death is the result of a player using a firearm or explosive – regardless of whether you were airlifted (respawned to hospital) or saved by EMS on the spot – you can not remember key details (specific identity, license plates, etc) about anyone that was involved in your incapacitation in the situations directly preceding that. There is no time requirement on this, this rule includes up to the point you were lured, captured or brought to the point of your incapacitation.
- You may remember small details – like make/model/color of the vehicle that drove you, outfit colour, mask detail. You can remember the why and how – what the reason was and where it was done, but not who did it. IE. Jake Salt killed you for snitching on him about stealing Suzzie Spa’s car and chopping it so he shot you. You remember someone shot you for snitching. –
- If you died from a melee or environmental attack – falling, being stabbed, being hit by a car – you can remember everything.
- You can read your texts after being airlifted to extrapolate information lost to amnesia.
- If you are responsible (directly or indirectly) for critically injuring another player you are forbidden from pursuing the victim straight after they are rescued unless the situation has reason to re-occur later. Such as you can not attack them at the hospital, but if they re-aggravated you a few hours later you can pursue them again.
- If you are downed you can not relay information learned whilst you are downed.
Permadeath and Total Amnesia
- Roleplay situations that involve the permanent end to a character’s life and storyline, otherwise known as permadeath or perma are not to be taken lightly.
- Players are to thoroughly consider the consequences of their actions and the appropriate level of response required. This may mean avoiding dangerous plotlines that should surely end in death if permadeath is not your eventual intention. For example: Aggravating an entire gang faction and killing one of their members.
- No character should ever be considered or played as invulnerable.
- Only the player of a character can authorize or permit their character to be permanently killed.
- When permanently killing off a character you must let the staff team know as they need to action your characters data deletion manually. Make a ticket for ‘database change’. Note, this is not an easy job and can take some time to complete. You cannot be in the server during this time.
- You will not be approved to permanently kill off your character (and make new characters) if you have outstanding fines and bills to pay. Equity tax is not included.
- RP situations involving permadeath by way of suicide or self-harm are not permitted.
Combat and Kill-on-Sight
- To engage in combat with another player or faction, you must have sufficient RP build-up and reason to do so.
- When two factions are at war individual engagement is not needed. The war is the engagement.
- If you are engaged in roleplay combat you may not leave the server until the conflict has ended.
- Even if you have died, you can not respawn (get airlifted) to the hospital as the situation is still ongoing and thus it counts as combat logging/situation avoidance. You may only respawn in active situations if there is 0 chance of you being rescued after 15 minutes time.
- You may also not log out when detained by the police for questioning or when you’re in the jail cells awaiting processing.
- You may not store your vehicle in a garage or hide yourself behind a locked door or in a home for at least 10 minutes immediately following combat or a police chase.
- Definition: Metagaming is a term used in role-playing games, which describes a player’s use of real-life knowledge concerning the state of the game to determine their character’s actions.
- Metagaming is strictly forbidden on OceaniaRP.
- Any information in the discord that is not strictly marked as IC is not to be used IC. For example: Stating you know two people have been hanging out because you saw them in a screenshot posted to the GTA RP discord or ‘I saw that on your bodycam’.
- Major developments can not be planned/organized via email and must instead be played out in game. Emailing should be used for expansion of narrative plots, not to get a leg up on the competition.
- You may not log-in to assist in a situation because you saw your friends in trouble on stream or were told so via discord.
- Definition: Powergaming is the term used to describe player actions or behaviour where the player disregards any conventional rules of roleplay or structure to provide their character with an unfair advantage. For example, a character that has developed superhuman abilities that makes them invincible.
- Powergaming is strictly forbidden on OceaniaRp.
- Players can not use /me to powergame – such as, but not limited to: ‘/me *breaks out of cuffs*’
- Players should roleplay realistically with their injuries. If you’ve been shot 6 times even after receiving treatment you should roleplay with weakness and pain – instantly getting up to pursue your attackers is powergaming.
- Using another player to transfer money between two or more of your own characters is not allowed.
- Criminal Organisations are limited to 8 active members
- A player can only be in one criminal organisation at a time.
- Being in a criminal organisation, gang or crew means you must prioritise members of your crew above all others. For instance when selecting people to do a job with, you must pull from your pool of members before seeking external help if they are unavailable.
- When operating as a group you should aim to information regarding the activities of your group fairly secretive. Although you can have associates you should not have external members who are ‘honorary’ members who attend your meetings, wear your colours, work with you etc without officially being in the group.
- Any criminals participating in a crime at one location is limited to 4. Should there be a gunfight with PD or another faction, no more then 4 associated criminals can be fighting at the same time for the same side. Additionally this includes drug manufacturing and sales, guarding people, manhunts, etc. Effectively any situation you feel is likely to result in combat. If rescuing a captured friend then they are counted outside of the cap – but if they’re already released from the situation and you’re collecting them they are counted as part of the situation.
- You can not send players in ‘from the bench’ as a person in the 4 man group goes down to replace them to keep the numbers constantly at 4 alive. It’s 4, dead or alive.
- You may steal player owned vehicles and chop them. However you may not steal EMS and PD vehicles without proper RP reasoning. Joyriding is not proper Rp reasoning.
- Criminal activities are to be conducted via ground and sea vehicles only. If players wish to use air vehicles they must be located at an external location and be traveled to.
- Heists, robberies and drug sales may not be done on or utilizing motorcycles or super cars.
- If your target manages to get away while you are robbing them, you must stop stealing items.
- ‘Volunteer hostages’ are not permitted. Your hostage can not be willing.
- Players wearing masks must be aware that if they continuously use the same mask, outfit, modus operandi and vehicles may allow them to be identified by police and civilians. If you wish to stay anonymous you should mix up your look and vehicles.
- Players wearing masks can not be identified by voice – the mask muffles them. Even if you don’t hear said muffling you are to roleplay as if the muffling is happening.
- Your vehicle – even if it does not physically have plates as some vehicles do not have (such as the sanchez bike) – has a VIN number. Police can identify your vehicle as belonging to you upon inspection. If you don’t want to be traced to a crime, consider using a stolen vehicle.
Jail and Jailbreaks
- Players are not to use vehicles to land or break the fences in order to gain access to the prison. This includes for jailbreaks or to hang out with someone serving a sentence.
- Players can only leave prison by serving their time or by being broken out via methods available from the server like Doorhacking
- Criminal crew numbers apply when attempting to breakout a player. For example, if a 4 man crew is breaking out 1 person, you can’t give a gun to that 1 person to fight as that crew total would become 5. However if it was a 3 person crew, that person would become the 4th and can fight
- Jailbreaks are to be conducted via ground vehicles only.
Tackling and lifting
- You should only be tackling someone in a combat situation if you have intent or RP reason to.
- Do not carry/lift players on bicycles, ATV’s, motorcycles and Jet Skis. The only exception is if said player is downed and you’re attempting to rescue them.
- Do not pick up and carry random strangers on the street. You must have intent and RP reason to carry someone.
- Users are not to use the lift mechanism to continuously move downed players away from EMS.
- Users can not use the ‘lift’ mechanisms to carry more then one unconscious/injured person at a time.
Glitch exploitation and hacking
- If you find a bug that gives you some sort of personal gain, you must report it by making a bug report ticket.
- Exploiting a bug for personal gain is a punishable offense.
- OceaniaRP does not allow the use of modified clients and trainers. Anyone found using these will be permanently banned.